In Northwestern’s many pre-collegiate programs, education and fun go hand in hand.
Even though it looks like fun, Northwestern takes its supplemental enrichment programs seriously. From credit-granting coursework to weekend music lessons, children and teens can take advantage of Northwestern faculty, resources and academic expertise.
Programs for K-12 students
- The Center for Talent Development supports gifted youth through a variety of educational programs.
- The Bienen School of Music's Music Academy provides piano, strings and voice lessons.
Programs for high-schoolers
- In the College Preparation Program, high school students may enroll in undergraduate courses for credit, and online and on-campus certificate programs.
- The Northwestern Academy for Chicago Public Schools is a multi-year college preparation program for Chicago public high school students.
- The National High School Institute offers summer programs with concentrations in theater, musical theater, film & video, playwriting and debate.
- The Medill-Northwestern Journalism Institute gives rising seniors, or "Cherubs," experience in print, broadcast and digital media.
- Research Experiences in Astronomy at CIERA for High School Students (REACH) is a summer program meant to provide Chicagoland high school students experience in astronomy research, with a focus on computer programming training, data analysis, hands-on research projects, and mentorship from professional scientists.